Monday 24 September 2007

Council taxes and getting my way

I received a letter from the council a few weeks back, informing me that i owed them about £700 in council tax, for a property that i was living in earlier this year. I was surprised to say the least, not to even get started on how angry i was. So i had phoned them, and told them i had only been living there 3 months (they said i was living there for 6), and that they should also chase Adam for the money, as he was on the contract too, and hadn't paid a penny in rent.
So anyways, this morning i received a second letter, telling me they had adjusted for me only living there 3 months but i still owed them £310.10, including court bills....
...Wait a minute....Court Bills....This should never have gone to court, i didn't even know i owed money.
So on the phone i go. Call them up, and ask why it went to court, Well apparently they sent letters to the flat AFTER we had moved out, Well not exactly my fault I didn't get them then really i tell them. And the lady eventually agrees, So says I still owe £247.
Granted this is a lot better than the £700 we started with, But i am not giving up there....
I ask why they have been unable to locate Adam, as i gave them his mothers details, and she has been to Visit him, so definetly knows where he lives.

The lady still seemed unconvinced, so time to pull out all the stops...
*turn on water works*...
"look it has been a really crap 6 months"....
I explain that Adam didn't pay a single penny when we were living there, and that they should get him to pay at least half of it.
And to my surprise the lady Agrees,
"so you will pay half then?" she asks me.
I tell her i will pay my half once they have got the other half out of him.
"tell you what..." she says. "let us try and get the whole lot out of him, and then if we still can't get the money then you can pay your half"
I am nearly dancing by this point, finally he is getting his comeuppance, but have to stay "Distressed"...
I finish off the conversation in true dramatic style.
"I am so sorry, i didn't mean to be so pushy, i have just had enough of him dumping all this crap on me *sniffle*. thank you for all your help *sniff sniff* "
I hang up, Dry my eyes, and shout
"I DID IT!"
and for once, Adam is going to get what he diserves, to pay for what is owed for once in his life.
And once again i can't help but be thankful he is out of my life.

No comments: